Monday, August 17, 2009

First Class, One Year Countdown, National Day Rally?

So school has officially started. The orientation brief went okay and I had to reach out to make new friends, two Singaporeans, some Indonesians, a Cambodian for starters. None of my accquaintances were in PSB Academy-University of Newcastle since they all made it to the Big 3, SIM, or overseas. It has always been like this, for the past few years I guess. Always me going at it alone in a foreign environment. I need to adapt, and I really need to, because this is where I will study for the next 3 years or something. I have got something to prove also, to myself, to the world, to the rest of the people that I am not a failure yet, and I will graduate with a degree, honours preferably (First Class Honours would be truly wonderful... those days are far off, let me concentrate on Year 1 first). Now PSB Academy doesn't have as wonderful a reputation as SIM or the Big 3 (the way I see it), and it's image has been further spoiled by the smokers who smoke outside the school campus (since smoking is not allowed on-campus -> perceptions matter no matter the tolerance level), my ex-classmate reminded me of that fact when she drew in a deep breath after I said where I studied - because her mother spotted the smokers when she passed by the school, and wondered, "Just what kind of students go to this school?" Her words cut deep into my heart, and stung me deeply. From a student who was once in the top 10 - 15% of the cohort... this is how far I have fallen.

I must have the discipline. Already, I have wallowed in the pit of doom that I had dug for myself for two years. Now I am in purgatory, my actions for the next few years will determine whether I can escape, or just fall back into the depths of darkness. The fires of determination have been stoked, but can I keep it burning?

I intend to run for council this time round. We'll see if good ol' Jiayu can make it.

More about school next. The lecturers/teachers for my four subjects seem pretty professional and know their stuff, so what remains is my effort. I have some interesting people in my tutorial groups, plus a bunch of Chinese who are pretty impressed I can keep up a conversation with them for a bit. I am grateful for my four years in Dunman High, and 5 years in Tao Nan, that have allowed me to remain in touch with my Chinese roots to this day (at least able to communicate in Mandarin, for one). And my Mom too, for the endless drills back when I was younger. She now uses them on her tuition students. :P Sadly, Singaporeans are few and far between, I am hoping more will come in next year when the course starts proper.

*****

Friday was the One-Year Countdown for the Youth Olympic Games. At the Padang, the countdown clock was unveiled by the Guests of Honour, which included Mr Teo Ser Luck, Dr. Vivian Balakrishnan and Professor S. Jayakumar (whom I think has to be highest Cabinet-level GOH for a YOG-related event that I've seen thus far - correct me if I am wrong). The emcee for the day was Daniel Ong (I still like him! :), so its awesome, and I went down in my SYOGOC Purple T-shirt, met Nicole, and ended up doing the flag marchpast-waving thing with her and the Young NTUC people. I said my "hi"s and byes to all my ex-colleagues, the feeling was very good. Then the flag waving, where my mini flag dropped somewhere during the waving. I was in front and being photographed so I think some bad photos were snapped while I picked up the cloth flag. :\. The music made everyone high, and we were all (and I mean EVERYONE!) dancing and waving our flags. My arms ached after that, I tell you. I spotted myself on the news on TV, by identifying the flag which I waved (Patrick passed me the big flag to wave, too!), and in newspaper photos, where my sleeves could briefly be seen. Hahaha. So much for appearing in the media. So it was like a massive party, and it's now less than a year to the Games. I wonder just what sort of volunteer training I would receive, and where I would be deployed? Hopefully somewhere special. Anyway, the wonderful people at SYOGOC did a wonderful job organising this and doing all their work, including the interns who stayed on... :) Real cool shit. Maybe I'll come back during my next holidays? Heh.

*****

National Day Rally. PM says economy is doing okayish. Take care of ourselves. Unity and racial Harmony. And the future looks awesome (I quite liked the concept video done by URA of the downtown skyline in the near future). PM asked for YOG volunteers! :) No other comments because I only half-listening and busy doing work. Should I be more involved and concerned? My skills of interpretation are not so up to date and refined yet, yes? But I'm likely going to be a journalist in the future, so...

Hmph.

Signing off, on to yet another day of school.

Comparing myself and the others, and my juniors, always always pains me so. What's the point, damnit?

EDIT @ Monday 170809 1205: Oh, and I missed the STGCC (Singapore Toy, Games and Comic Convention) over the weekend! Busy with schoolwork, and didn't really have the spare time to go for it. I think this is the second edition, the first being held in June last year when I was still in NS. And I missed it again! Oh, the pain! If it's held in August next year it better be at a good timing so I can go see see, and not miss YOG as well. *sighs* I did see some cosplayers around in the City Hall area as I passed it, though. Maybe I'll pull out the P90 and cosplay one day...

EDIT @ Tuesday 180809 1135: Prof. Jayakumar was right. The Padang has been the site for many of Singapore's historical moments, with the declaration of our independence (yes?), the first few NDPs, our winning bid to host YOG, and now, the One-Year Countdown.

No comments: