Last week I put in enough OT to last me at least an extra one to two working days (+2 to 3 hours each day - is this a precursor to real working life?), heh. Was busy helping to organise and schedule the volunteers for the Asian Youth Games' Multilingual Switchboard (a service we're providing to them, also to net some data for our own use). I have since realised that searching for, then managing volunteers isn't so easy after all, especially when you have need to maximise the coverage that your volunteers can provide.
Since the week before, I have been making phone calls and emails and hopefully the schedule is more or less locked in. My supervisor, the new Mexican intern and I blasted till 10pm on Friday night to try and settle things. It's a very valuable insight that I have gotten from this and I now have new-found respect for the peeps over at Volunteer Management who will have their work cut out for them in engaging and scheduling volunteer workforce come Games time. So far they seem to be doing a good job though. :)
Many of the interns in my... "cohort" (can't find a better term) had their last day of work on Friday. So less people to say hi to each day. :P Last week was totally peaceful because there were fewer people in the office. We've had a lot of staffers being deployed to observe or help out at AYG. Speaking of AYG, I went for the shooting dry run at Yishun SAFRA on Saturday. Everything seems to be going well, and the electronic range is really freaking awesome to see in operation. I have finally witnessed a true rifle 10.9 as well, which was like, woah (I may have hit a few back in VJ, but those were 10.9s by eye, and not machine). Awesome is the word. The fellow volunteers I spoke to were deployed here instead of having a choice (if I had blindly followed my assignment I would have been deployed at the airport), and, having to sit through even 30 minutes of qualifiers and 15 minutes of finals simulation, they found it rather boring. *shrugs* Like I have been saying, air weapons competitions are all about the state of mind, for participant and spectator alike. I'm glad I managed to find myself a spot for shooting. Hope the 4 days I'll be involved in will be fun, a once-in-a-lifetime experience, and no H1N1. Hehe! (I've been deployed as a Results Distribution Manager, by the way).
After the dry run, I headed all the way down to the National Stadium to collect my AYG Volunteer uniform. Due to issues with workmanship, they have decided not to issue the bermudas to us at all. How... disappointing. o.o Anyway, AYG has already started with football and stuff, so we all need to see this event to its culmination.
I spent a dollar today buying cone ice-cream from a roadside stall (y'know, those on bicycles/motorbikes with those fatherly vendors...) on impulse. Haven't done so in years, I used to bug my parents for them when I was a kid. My occasional craves for ice cream in cones nowadays have been satisfied by refrigerated stuff at convenience stores, or shopping centres, so it felt really good to go back to this. Yup. But it's all so ephemeral, so transient, so fleeting...
And I met Jacqueline (I'll always remember her as CYY more than Jac :P) at Paya Lebar MRT. That's twice within a weeks' span (previously at Volunteers' Day, check previous post) - Meeting friends unexpectedly is always a good thing.
Oh, and here's a funny observation on my MRT ride home today. There I was, exiting from City Hall on the North-South line, being pushed along with the mass exodus of people who usually do so, and them rushing for the East-West train that had happened to arrive as well. I wasn't in a hurry, but I was being pushed and that was annoying. That's not my point, anyway. I boarded the next train, and came face-to-face with this short, busty girl (doesn't look like a local to me) for a fleeting moment, before she got surrounded by a bunch of old men all of a sudden. Seriously. They probably wanted to perv at her tits. I blinked and o.o-ed, being displaced from the local volume of space-time by this unexpected mass anomaly, and just went off to find a better place to stand. Kekekekekeke!
Mmm, busy busy busy days ahead still...
Signing off.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment