Monday, August 30, 2010

YOG has ended. School has started. (Part 2 of 2)

And so, officially, my work at the Youth Olympic Games has come to an end. It seemed only like yesterday that I started my duties on the 8th at the Youth Olympic Village at NTU/NIE, and in the blink of an eye, we blasted past 26th August and ended up on the 28th. It has been an exciting journey indeed, and the fellow members of the Workforce Assistants that I've worked with were a fine team. Mission Accomplished, guys!

I did not see the Closing Ceremony because I went back to the Village on my off-duty day to help out. Local mainstream media gave favourable reports; it was heartwarming to see our efforts being paid tribute to. That was the official photography day for us so most of the team turned up also to take photos (finally!) and the like, and it was real fun to just chill out at an almost-empty Village Square (the athletes had left for Closing Ceremony then). In the evening, I got more than I asked for: I met up with Tsu Cher, my one-time coach at VJC Air Rifle as well as going into the Residential Zone (we have access) together with friends to exchange T-shirts/jerseys with the athletes. Somewhere along the line I got myself a Chilean team shirt, and some of the athletes I met along the way greeted me with a "Hola, Chile." or something to that effect. I wonder if they really thought I was Chilean, which I shouldn't look like at all because 1. I'm short, 2. I'm Asian-looking, 3. I wear spectacles. Perhaps they were just kidding around. That said, I think that little night jaunt into the RZ would be a memory for me for some time to come. Just walking around and interacting with the athletes who were obviously relaxed since everything was over and they could begin to go home.

The night party at the Village seemed a little short though, causing disappointment for some, but the few of us still managed to take some pictures and have some fruitful interaction with the athletes who were slowly begin to leave the scene. These guys are still young, and buzzing with energy, after all. I'm not too sure of the official reasons why, neither will I comment upon it. But it was a fun and interesting night, pictures will be up soon. I'm glad I went down there that night.

This came at the cost of lethargy during my orientation programme the next day, where I saw my new coursemates for the first time. More Singaporeans in my course now, and a few from the same background as myself, namely, 'A' Levels -> PSB Academy. Girls though, so they did not get bogged down by National Service as I did. Although I was pretty bushed, I started to reach out and make new friends again, and I sure hope to work well with them, as well as my existing pals who made it into the BCOMN course with me. God bless for the uncertain journey ahead.

My last day was on the 28th, and I arrived to find the Village in the midst of transforming back to NIE. Our enterprising Workforce team members had set up a trading centre beside the pin-trader, trading our 'goods' like pins and shirts with anyone who came. They said that business was good the previous day, it was a pity I couldn't be around to take photos to document such an interesting cultural exchange. Much of the packing-up was done by the morning shift, so there was little to do except seal up the boxes and wait for the movers from DHL to come and bring it back to SYOGOC HQ at Kay Siang Road. That we did, and then talked, walked around, had dinner, and the like. Dinner that night was awesome. I finally confirmed what I heard about Radha after all: Radha the warrior, once deputy commander of the top-secret Special Operations Force within the Commandos. I'm pretty sure we won't want to see his fierce side - his friendly side is good enough for us all. I suspect I may have seen shades of his darker side at certain times, but nothing I will comment on. Dr. Vivian Balakrishnan and Deputy Mayor Joscelin Yeo dropped by our office once again, and he thanked those present for their hard work even as the curtain goes down on YOG, and also took a look at the certificates of appreciation prepared for the volunteers. Spotted Senior Parliamentary Secretary, MCYS Teo Ser Luck at dinner with his kids, too (at least, I think they were his).

We sent everything back to Kay Siang Road by midnight and the few of us who remained: Si Hao, Hao Ming, Yan Ling, Ryan, Myself, Radha, Pamela went down to Evans Road for some roti prata supper, bumping into Kishore (fellow WKF ASST, posted to the Main Media Centre at Marina Bay Sands) chilling with his pals there, and hearing about his own experience. We all ate and talked, and then...

...said our goodbyes with promises to catch up in due time when it was time to go.

I was glad I met this whole bunch of people, and I pray that all the SYOGOC contract staff can find jobs quickly once their contracts end on 30 September. The knowledge would have been transferred to other organising committees by then, and we can say:

"kore nite, itten rakuchaku!" (TOO MUCH SHINKENGER!)... I mean, "Case closed!"

Shoutouts:

Radha: For being so nice, flexible, and in total control of the situation; and being such a great mentor.
Idris: Nice man! Susa la hahaha :)
Pamela: Nice meeting ya.
Maduran, Ryan: You two were amongst the first volunteers I knew. Good luck in life!
Spencer: You're a very interesting man. :)
Uncle Koh: Never knew you were so good at art!
Aili, Annie, Yan Ling: Your dedication to work, I salute.
Shiun: Mister Muscle! Good luck in your bodybuilding career, big guy!
Si Hao, Hao Ming: Resourceful, and real nice working alongside you two.
Sheng Ho: Wise up, pal!
Katie: It was a good time chatting with you especially on day 2 at the WKF CTR 2.
Three Musketeers (Ben, Xiang Ming, Guo Liang): Met you guys only like once, take care of yourselves!
Wei Lian, Chin Hwee: You two and Hao Ming, seriously the masters of pin-collecting la haha.
Teck Wei: Never had the chance to work with you really, but I know you're a smart guy.
Super Onna Sentai (Soon Ling, Janice, Irene, Jiawei and one more - forgive me for forgetting names!): Seriously, you guys... I hear you're the super girl squad. Haha.
Yi Chun: Quiet, demure... open up more? (We always were on different shifts, anyway) :)
Ma Sai, Zhenghua (Mister Inner Mongolia!) and Yu Qin: Keep going wherever you are!
The rest of the WKF Asst team which I have not met: All the best in your endeavours!

And to the other friends I've made during this time like (Syfa)wani, Joanna, Stephanie... there's still more to life ahead, so let us do our best!

And to the YOV people (Sheryl, Meng Tak, Jason, Patrick, Jaslyn, Tham, Emma, Gilberto, Heloise, Martin, Ernie, Nicola, Kwai Fung, Janet, May): No, I'm not a traitor! Stay in touch?

And to the other SYOGOC interns during my time: Jia Xin, Larissa, Sheryl Chee, Ros, Brenda, Hong Jun, Aaron, Marilyn, San San, Samantha, Kelda and the whole other bunch whose names I don't know too well... WE NEED TO STAY IN TOUCH TOUCH TOUCH TOO!

And to the SYOGOC staffers I know: Smile! It's coming to an end!

Apologies to anyone whom I may have forgotten... all opinions expressed are my own and in the capacity of a citizen of Singapore. It's all over now, time to move on...

No comments: