Male pattern baldness is caused by a genetic sensitivity of hair follicles to DHT (an androgen called dihydrotestosterone), which causes them to shrink when exposed to it. This shortens their lifespan and prevents them from producing hair normally.
It's a genetic fault, and the Wikipedia article further states that susceptibility to premature male-pattern baldness is largely X-linked, i.e. linked to the female portion of the genome, the "data" that is contributed by one's mother. Well, I'm not gonna rant and rave about my parents and "bad" genes, since these were all pretty much pre-ordained at the moment of my conception, but my rather destructive lifestyle in the years prior, and the stresses throughout junior college and the army probably made it worse.
One must note that without reading up on original, peer-reviewed research, Wikipedia articles should be treated with a pinch of salt, good for general knowledge only.
*sighs* This sucks a little bit, and stings just like the little treachery Precipitation played on me the other day. Never fear. It just brings me closer towards the eventual end, and makes me more certain of which path to take... maybe I should just go be a skinhead and keep my hair short to a fault.
That said, I got myself more sleep after returning home, and, on a whim, decided to go down to Marina Barrage at 4 plus (being stuck at home sucks) to show some support for CAN! Create, a publicity event for the Youth Olympic Games supported I think by the Culture and Education Programme (CEP) Division. The weather was unbearably hot (I was sweltering even though I was there for only 2 hours, think of the volunteers who were there!).
Met up with Austin and Jonathan, two rather passionate poly students and ex-interns (I did not see them around much during my time there, though), and accompanied them as well as Daena and Ros ('momma' of the CAN! mascot, Blobby!, who now appears on all the CAN! Mk. I and Mk. II T-shirts) around. Ros has found a significant other in Adrian, which, congratulations to them, I guess. Mmm... Just some of the changes that happen... I had this thought pop in my head when I was driving out from the Barrage, that the world seems to revolve and change and pass me by, and I can only observe. So many discoveries in these few days...
That said, Marina Barrage looks really different in the day and at night. The CAN! event there drew a rather small crowd (or so I hear), which had effectively thinned out by the time I arrived. But it went on, and garnered some media coverage (the news, and a short press release on Channel NewsAsia) together with another YOG-related event. I only wished the nightly news would dedicate a bit more coverage for such events... although today the Chile earthquake overshadowed pretty much everything else. May the heavens bless us, so many natural disasters have befallen the planet one after another...
Met Reynard for dinner at Suntec. :)
Finally caught another episode of 我猜on TV... today they broadcast the first apperance of the cute and busty 瑶瑶, who, as it turns out excelled in track-and-field and still quite the gym rat. She replaces 蝴蝶姐姐as the new "flower vase" 3rd host on the Guess Show, and, this being her debut appearance, she looked pretty lost and was reduced to being silent unless absolutely necessary. Jacky Wu and 阿雅 have been partners for so long, that they know each other pretty well and can coordinate. 瑶瑶 has her work cut out for her, and she needs to pick up the skill of keeping up with these two veteran hosts who can rapidly switch conversation topics and crack jokes out of the blue, otherwise she will remain a "vase" forever. Makes for good eye candy though, heh.
Time will tell.
A new segment they had seemed to be totally ripped off from 我爱黑涩会concept-wise; with Jacky, 阿雅 and 瑶瑶on one side, and 10 pretty girls on the other, 'discussing' on some issues, this time being "Why pretty girls do not exercise" and the fitness levels of a select few. Oh, for originality...
What keeps me watching this Jacky Wu. He never fails to crack me up with his jokes. One helluva host, man...
No comments:
Post a Comment