Friday, July 30, 2010

The future... so exciting, yet full of trepidation. Stepping into the unknown.

Why am I writing this post on a seemngly random day, I am not really sure. Perhaps I was inspired by my junior's post about his search for a scholarship, or that I had this urge to "outdo" him (What? What manner of outdoing would this post even be? Strange thoughts indeed, have I gone mad?).

Enough of crap. There's actually nothing much I have been up to, although the Student Council has met in recent weeks as we begin planning for our Movie Marathon as well as the second O2 Camp (Freshman Orientation Camp equivalent for those of you who study in the local universities and elsewhere). I've gone down to school to help run the booths, as always, and made trips here and there to settle on some administrative business. My plans for converting my cosplay gear to a riot-style uniform/SWAT are still on the shelf since I have been procrastinating about taking action.

I finally dropped by this showroom for Tamiya cars and model kits that I've always wanted to since like, a couple of years ago. It's located in the Ubi Industrial Estate, and boy, the model kits there look simply awesome! I'm not a Tamiya car fan, but more of the military models. Memories of attempting to build an Iowa-class battleship model come to mind, although I think I ditched it when I moved house, or something like that. Patience and dexterity in painting wasn't something I liked then. Coming back, I took a 20-minute stroll around the place and admiring all the things they had on display.

As for tomorrow, there's the Youth Olympic Games Opening Ceremony Combined Rehearsal to go look at! I'm sure for reasons of operational security and not spoiling the surprises, I would not be allowed to post up any details of the performances until the official ceremony (14th August) itself, so you guys are getting nothing from me. Don't even think about it. :) If you don't have tickets, just stay tuned on that day! Sounds pretty exciting to me...

As YOG nears, I'm actually quite hyped up for my volunteer duties even though we might get swamped in our new environments on the first day. Think I've mentioned it in a post sometime back, but I really can't wait for it to happen! And I hope I can catch a glimpse of shooting from live feeds on TV or something, because I want to see for myself the fully electronic range and the laser-emitting pistols, more environmentally-friendly since there is no paper wasted to make target cards and no more lead pellets. To me though, nothing beats the feel of actually letting fly one round. Damn I miss those days.

I would sure as hell want to volunteer as F1 pit/track crew when I have the chance.

Which brings me to what happens next. Year 2 of my studies, which would actually mean, by the time the next academic year ends, that I would have covered 1.5 years' worth of stuff in Australia. That which I am treading into unknown ground, and that which fills me with a sense of trepidation. Like I have told myself many many times, I doubt the distinctions or whatever would come easily, and for now, I'll just do my best. I must at least get a credit pass for everything on first attempt, right?

If all goes well, I would be able to transfer to Newcastle in 2012 and complete my degree there (albeit a tad slower than my peers). The only sticking point is the amount my parents are paying for my fees thus far, and the living expenses I would definitely incur over in Australia. Till date, my biggest failure would lie in my 'A' Levels (ranting again, aren't I?), which failed to secure me a much cheaper option in local universities and also totally vanquished my dreams of ANY scholarship (which would no doubt make education, whether here or overseas cheaper, and that the bond means job security for at least a while - I'm definitely not a bond-breaker!). I never retook my A's since I had that nagging feeling that I could not study while in the army (defeatist, or pragmatic?), which ultimately led to where I am today. So I end off with this cautionary note to myself to keep at it.

I wonder how the future would be like... (who doesn't?)

World War Z WAS INDEED A GOOD READ! :) I want Starcraft 2. And, may the powers that be bless my relatives. This is a trying time for all of us.

No comments: