Thursday, July 15, 2010

The Morality Of It All

There's generally always a discordant pattern between my posts and my post titles. Anyway, here's what I've been up to in the past 2 weeks or so:

Over the July 3rd-4th weekend (coincidentally, Independence Day in America so a belated Happy ID to you guys over there!), I participated in Cosfest IX, organised by the Singapore Cosplay Club (?) in conjunction with Downtown East and some Japanese ministry or something. I have had wanted to cosplay ever since I got into anime in Secondary 3 or so, I remember entertaining fantasies about doing a Alucard or a Gundam character. But the hassle of making/buying your own costumes put me off. I went for some events, I remember, but I never dared to ask for photos to be taken with anyone, I only snapped discreetly (fading memories of WCG 2005 come to mind). Then came army, where I put down all those for the moment, and then the passion came back again when I got to know of Black Tactical. And the gear collection started, and culminated in my "light PMC loadout - Days 1 and 2" at Cosfest, cos(playing) [-> costuming more than player, since if we were to get "in-character" some people might get heart attacks in gun-phobic Singapore] something totally different from my original ideas. More like milsim.

How did I feel? My virgin cosplaying experience was awesome, unrivalled. Plus Downtown East gave us free rein to do our stuff (unlike another location). I don't really like to camwhore too much normally, but man, when you're in costume, it's totally different. It somehow feels darned good (and I mean in-fucking-credibly-darned good!) when people ask to have photos taken with you, and the swarms that will eventually appear when a group of us poses at some area - I realise milsim posing is best done in groups. I somehow mustered up the courage (maybe my gear made me anonymous) to take photos of cosplayers or take photos WITH them, offering a salute of thanks when I was done. I would not have done that out of costume. It seems like I am truly happy doing this, something I haven't been feeling in a long while, perhaps. Despite being a freak show and a deviant to some people and general society. I have a budding idea for a new costume up next, but it remains to be seen if I will go and do it.

The theme was Cosfest IX was "Let's Make Friends!" Sure I did, finally meeting in person all those people from the Black-Tactical forums. The only regret was I failed to establish contacts with some of the other cosplayers, thus meeting the true objective of making friends. I wonder how to do that though, when you're kinda in-character? I helped out sporadically at the Black-Tactical booth though, seeing Kit's homemade lightsabers for the first time. Awesome shit.

The other takeaway, of course, is that we are all living out our fantasies when we cosplay. So "beauty" here is literally skin-deep. Once the wigs and makeup and mannerism go away, perhaps even the good-looking cosplayers may be a totally different person underneath it all.

Next weekend (10-12 July) I ended up at TGX (The Games eXpo?) together with the WCG (World Cyber Games) Asian Championships. Cosplayers were invited, but I didn't feel like it. I was down the three days, but the event just felt boring. Even the games failed to appeal to me... it's just not my type anymore. I should go to E3 one fine day if I ever get the chance. On the third day, having nothing better to do, I decided to go help Khong Hwee (our beloved Toys_god_of_war) at his Toys n' Panzer Works booth (after helping a little bit on day 2), chaperoning little kids shooting nerf darts, smart alecks who think they know their stuff, curious parents asking about the nerf guns and the occasional cute girl asking about replica weapons. I'm not a Nerf player myself, but it somehow felt fun doing it. I don't know why, but I liked what I was doing. Also, there was this Taiwanese uncle from the booth beside ours, Candy House, was very funny. An animated old man, with a shock of white hair and a little pot-bellied, he provided some entertainment. Twice I was dragged off to be his translator, once to write a "DO NOT TOUCH" sign and another to interpret as he curiously tried to talk to a British teen, who gamely kept up the three-way conversation between us. He's a funny man, if a tad forgetful. I took a namecard from his stall, who knows? I might also visit it if I ever return to Taiwan.

I wished I had a replica katana/wakizashi set for added coolness.

Singapore Expo was different, though. Security was tighter, perhaps TGX/WCG was a bigger event (I bet it drew a lot less people) plus Singapore Expo has a certain reputation to uphold. When two of my kids (the young forumers, I shall henceforth refer them to) went "in-character" and did a tactical movement WITHIN the Hall itself (we did not, at any point in time, step out of the hall), we were promptly stopped by a certain security officer, who gave my kids a good dressing down, and went to complain. While I can understand the possible security implications of such a move, and potentially causing fear to people within a space where cosplayers were invited, the necessary apologies were made. What I did not like was his tone -> the shouting, and all. It may impress the gravity of the situation onto the kids but I am pretty sure this could have been a much better altercation than that. That said, the 'drama' we were all waiting for (Expo stopping gatecrashing cosplayers) failed to materialise (AFAIK) and there was peace. And the rest of the week...

This week, I went back to school to facilitate the inbound student exchange from the PSB Colleges in various parts of China and Vietnam. While being with these students is a fun and interesting experience (where you learn more about people management, and the power of bonding - we both opened up to each other as the days went by), I also learned (again) about the importance of communication. Miscommunication might lead to dissatisfied expressions that may be interpreted the wrong way, and then, conflicts happen. It's been four days now, and the students are most likely to return home after tomorrow (so fast!)... the Vietnamese teacher-in-charge was also an impressive man, very friendly and genial. A heavyset American-born (?) Vietnamese, Mr. Jonathan has most certainly groomed his students well. Being complimented on your work, whether voluntary or not, sure feels good.

I just got to know that my youngest male cousin got accepted into flying training. He's slated to begin the Basic phase in Australia probably within the next two months. I'm proud of him, for he will be the best amongst all of us cousins (signing on with the Air Force!), yet I'm envious at the same time, for he is beginnig what I truly aspired to be. Well, all the best to you, JX, ace the tests, and get your wings!

No comments: